History of the Park:
The site of the War Memorial, on the corner of Saxton Street and Tocumwal Road, was originally occupied by James Bauld, who ran a general store there. He was followed by R T Joyce who ran a drapery store. In 1888, the Salvation Army took over the site along with a neighbouring cottage, establishing the Numurkah Corps. The Corps ceased its operation in 1927.
It wasn't until 1925, that the Shire convened a public meeting for the purpose of erecting a Soldiers' Memorial, in remembrance of the sacrifices made in the Great War. The ex-Salvation Army's land was purchased in 1928 for the purpose of the Memorial . A number of different designs were considered for the Memorial including a "mosque" design. A final design was accepted: a shaft of granite (bearing the names of local soldiers), surmounted by a white marble angel and guarded by a white marble figure of a soldier at the front. The Memorial was opened on 16th November, 1929. In 1939, an oak tree was planted behind the Memorial. This tree was propagated from an acorn taken from the Royal Oaks at Windsor Castle. Many of these trees were sent around the Commonwealth to celebrate the coronation of King George VI. (Visit our Museum to find out more about this tree...and the 80 year anniversary follow-up , including a letter from the Queen)
Over the years, further soldiers' names have been added to the memorial commemorating local involvement in further wars and conflicts. The park was extended in the 1950.s by purchasing the land occupied by another neighbouring cottage.
Several war artefacts have been added in recent years, as well as memorial/murals:
Numurkah Mob Memorial: The monument commemorates 15 Numurkah soldiers who went to World War Two together. On the fall of Singapore, they were captured and served time in Changi Prison in Singapore. Many were forced to labour on the Burma Railroad.
Saluting their Service Mural: This mural acknowledges locals who have served in wars across the years. It is located on the wall of the Supermarket building opposite Memorial Park.
Soldier Settlers Memorial: This memorial acknowledges the contribution of returned servicemen who settled in the area after WW2, taking up farming on government-planned Soldier Settlement blocks. (see Soldier Settlement page for more details about the Soldier Settlement Scheme)
"Soldier Settlement" Memorial
"Numurkah Mob" Memorial
"Saluting their Service" Mural